Frequently Asked Questions

Mike Fisher’s Driving School Frequently Asked Questions

These are the Questions that are usually asked by prospective students at some point;

How Does The Driver Education Course Work?

Our excellent, easy driving school courses are focused on basic inexpensive driver training for teens, and first time drivers.

Starting from their first lesson and throughout all their subsequent driving lessons and automobile practice training, students will learn defensive, safe driving techniques from our experienced instructors. The courses utilize the MTO driving manual, reviews road signs, rule of the road, parallel parking, blind spot issues, and proper positioning of your car when navigating through intersections, and for the parking skills.

Our in-class lessons encourage students to ask questions since this is a best practice instruction technique for high school aged teens and younger adults. This technique helps them acquire and retain information quickly so that they can pass the drivers road exams and get their G1, G2, and/or G level license certificate as quickly as possible.

Our Driving School’s Driver Training “Beginner Driver program” is a Ministry of Transportation of ON (MTO) approved and inspected program. It conforms to and exceeds the highest standards anywhere, at any price. “A One” EZ driving course resulting in a cheap, inexpensive solution to passing your driving tests and becoming a first class driver.

What Is The Difference Between The G1, G2 And G Licence In Ontario

Ontario has a graduated licencing system that enables individuals to master their driving skills over three stages of licencing – G1, G2 and G. Each permit level has different rules and limitations that a driver must obey.By graduating from an MTO-Approved Beginner Driver Education (BDE) Course provider like Mike Fisher’s Driving School-Northumberland Ltd., it is possible to finish the full process in only 18 months.

For your convenience we have a page with links to Ministry of Transportation produced videos that explain the entire process:

Please follow the link below to the Ministry of Transportation website and scroll down to the Class G licences for a more detailed explanation and the differences between G1, G2 or G licences.

How Do I Get A Drivers License?

Learning to drive is a rite of passage for most high-school aged teens in Canada. Driving is a privelige, not a right.Tthere are also many older people who have, for one reason or another, not had a reason to get a drivers license yet. A typical situation we often run into are people who have moved from an urban environment to a more rural setting, and find that there is no public transportation that they were dependent upon in the big city. Both of these audiences are motivated to learn to drive. Driving is important for most people because it gives them the independence to move about their daily lives efficiently, and also gives them the ability to seek out non-local job opportunities.

Before you get behind the wheel of a car in Ontario, you must get a learners permit. This is accomplished by picking up a rules of the road document from any MTO office, or online, and studying the material within. You will have a vision test and a written test. This test is about the core rules of the road. It teaches you what things like what un-posted speed limits are in urban and rural areas, the shape of various types of traffic signs and what they mean, the meaning of dashed versus solid lines on a road, etc. You will be tested on this knowledge in a written multiple choice format test, and once you have achieved a high enough mark, you will be issued a learners permit that will allow you to learn to drive.

If you want to practice for your beginners license, there are several free online G1 practice tests here.

Learning how to drive is a lot more than just book knowledge. In our course, we will teach you the basics of how a car works and simple routine operational maintenance that you must do. We will also give you classroom instruction showing you typical driving situations and how you should position and handle your vehicle in each situation. Following that, you are given a chance to practice what you have learned in the classroom by driving on city streets so that you get the feel of a vehicle under your control. Enough hours are spent doing driving lessons so that you can drive comfortably and park your car as needed. Towards the end of your in vehicle training, your will be put through a few practice learners tests so that you will be well prepared to take your MTO road test and PASS, the very first time you try.

Where Do I Write My Written Test?

In Ontario, the G1 written test (for your Drivers Licence Permit – sometimes called your beginners licence) can be written at any DriveTest Center.
Visit to find the one nearest you.

Please click on each question below to reveal the detailed answer to more of our frequently asked questions…

Where Can I Get My Driver’s Handbook?

There is an online version of the Drivers Handbook on the MTO website here. You can get them at the closest Drive Test Center. The price is about $16.00 each

Or you can purchase them at the closest Service Ontario Center.

The closest full time Drive Test Centers to Cobourg are:

Ontario DriveTest Centre (Serco) – Belleville

345 College St. East, Unit 12
Belleville ON, K8N 4Z6

***This centre is located in the College Centre plaza, next to the KGH Belleville Dialysis Clinic.

Hours of operation:
Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Road tests offered:

Ontario DriveTest Centre (Serco) – Peterborough

749 Erskine Ave.
Peterborough ON, K9J 7Y6

***This centre is located in the same plaza as Microage and Fastenal.

Hours of operation:
Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Road tests offered:

What Is The Testing Process For Obtaining A Drivers License In Ontario?

There are several levels of testing required to get a Driver License in Ontario.

• The first step is an eye test, and a written exam on the rules of the road and road signs. If you pass both, you obtain your G1 permit. This permit is only valid if you are with a full Class G licensed driver, with a minimum of 4 years driving experience, and they are in the front seat beside you when you drive. A fee is required for the G1 permit, and you apply at an Ontario Drive Test Center.

• The next step is your road test to get your G2 license. The G2 license allows you to drive, but there are restrictions as to the number and age of people that can be in the vehicle with you, and what times of day you are driving. If you finish an government-approved driver education course, you can take your first road test after just eight months, otherwise you will have to wait 12 months before you can take your G1 exit test, to obtain your G2. Once you have passed your G1 exit test, you will get a G2 License. This is still a restricted license, but the restrictions are less than that imposed on you with a G1 licence.

• The next step is that required to get your G licence.You have to drive for at least 12 months with a G2 licence before you can attempt the G2 exit test to obtain your full G licence.

How Does The Driver Education Course Work?

Our excellent, easy driving school courses are focused on basic inexpensive driver training for teens, and first time drivers.

Starting from their first lesson and throughout all their subsequent driving lessons and automobile practice training, students will learn defensive, safe driving techniques from our experienced instructors. The courses utilize the MTO driving manual, reviews road signs, rule of the road, parallel parking, blind spot issues, and proper positioning of your car when navigating through intersections, and for the parking skills.

Our in-class lessons encourage students to ask questions since this is a best practice instruction technique for high school aged teens and younger adults. This technique helps them acquire and retain information quickly so that they can pass the drivers road exams and get their g1, g2, and/or G level license certificate as quickly as possible.

Our Driving School’s Driver Training “Beginner Driver program” is a Ministry of Transportation of ON (MTO) approved and inspected program. It conforms to and exceeds the highest standards anywhere, at any price. “A One” EZ driving course resulting in a cheap, inexpensive solution to passing your driving tests and becoming a first class driver.

What are the Steps of Basic Driver Education (BDE) Course Certification?

As Per the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO):

Students who enrolled in a BDE program are not issued a paper certificate from their driving school. Your driving school certifies students who have passed all components of a BDE training course on-line. The student has no responsibility to complete anything during this process.

Once the driving school has completed the on-line student certification process, a student’s driver record will be updated via the ministry.

In its simplest steps, this is how it all works:

  • When a student starts the course with a driving school, the school will register them with the MTO’s registration system on-line.
  • Once a student passes the BDE course, the driving school certifies the student with the MTO (This step incurs an MTO fee of $15.00).
  • Once the driving school has certified a student, the student can book their road test.

If you have any questions regarding the BDE Program, please call or email the Ministry of Transportation BDE Contact Line at (416) 235 – 5540 or email at

What Can I Do With My G1 Drivers Licence?

Special Conditions When Driving With a G1 Permit:

Up to the time that you pass a G1 exit road test, you must take driving lessons from a fully-licenced driver in the passenger seat and observe the following restrictions and rules:

  • The accompanying driver has to have a full Class G Licence (or better) and have been licenced to drive for at least four years.
  • He/she can be the only passenger in the front seat of the vehicle with you.
  • You have to have had your G1 Licence at least 12 months before attempting the G1 test.
  • Never exceed 0% blood alcohol content at any time
  • It is also necessary for your co-driver to have a blood alcohol content below 0.05% in case they have to take over as driver.
  • If the accompanying driver is 21 or under they must have zero per cent in case he/she needs to assume control of the vehicle.

You may not drive on the following highways unless with a certified driving instructor:

  • 400 series highways (400, 400A, 401, 402, 403, 404, 406, 407, 409, 410, 416, 417, 420, 427)
  • Queen Elizabeth Way
  • Don Valley Parkway
  • Gardiner Expressway
  • E.C. Row Expressway
  • Conestoga Parkway
  • Any Highway with a speed limit in excess of 80 KPM.
  • No driving between 12:00am and 5:00am.
  • All rear seat passengers must be wearing a seat belt – only one per seatbelt.
  • Drive only G Class designated vehicles.
Where Can I See MTO Videos Of The Class G Licensing and Testing Process?

Videos About Getting Your Driving Licence In Ontario.

Class G Driving Videos

For the convenience of our Cobourg, Port Hope and Peterborough driver training students, here are a series of informational videos about getting a driving licence created by the Government of Ontario (MTO). They will walk you through the driving instruction requirements and testing you can expect at each level of your graduated Class G licence. Link to video page here.

Is Your Driving Education School Certified by MTO?

We are an MTO (Ministry of Transport of Ontario) approved Beginner Driver Education (BDE) Program. We train you with in-class education, in-car driving, and also help you practice for the MTO road tests. As stated elsewhere in our site, we offer a course that is above and beyond the requirements of the Ministry of Transport. Our amazing A+ average student driving test pass rate on first time attempts proves that.

Click this link and scroll down to the Cobourg page and you will see Mike Fisher’s Driving School Listed on the MTO website.

What are your Instructor Qualifications?

Our +25 years of teaching experience in various safety fields, enables us to teach more than road test preparedness, and the rules of the road. Safety aspects are highlighted throughout the entire program, ensuring students have a high level of competence in hazardous situations, as well as day to day driving.

> Certified in MTO curriculum, and as an in-car and in-class Instructor through CPD (Canadian Pro Drivers Program) at Humber College- achieving a mark of 98%.
> + 25 years teaching in various health and safety fields.
> +25 years advanced first aid training.
> Certified accident investigator.
> Certified in social services, and health and safety program development.
> Team leader of agency providing support to individuals with developmental and intellectual limitations.
> Certified in CPI and PART training.
> Recipient of community hero award, Ab.

> Former member of the Suicide Prevention and Awareness Committee, Ab.

How Good is The Quality Of Your Driver Training?

Exceptional Quality

We often get requests to fine-tune these students training prior to their road tests.

Unlike some driving schools that just meet MTO minimum standards, our program exceeds all MTO standards.

The program prepares students for their road tests, and teaches the safe driving skills needed in everyday driving. We will also go over maneuvers not required for the road tests, but make students much safer drivers, in emergency situations.
Getting students to relax throughout the process builds their driving self-confidence, and is a vital part of the training.

The in class training is entertaining, yet highly informative. This ensures students are prepared before starting on their in car lessons. We continue working with our students throughout the process of the graduating licensing system, and beyond.

Support is provided to students for their road tests, regardless of which vehicle they use.

For all of these reasons, we have a demonstrated a much higher than industry average pass rate on road tests.

Are There Any Requirements To Register For A Beginner Driver Education (BDE) Course?

A deposit is recommended to ensure you secure a spot in the class. You may register and take our in class before writing your G1 test. You must have passed your G1 written test at a drive test center before you are allowed to drive in any vehicle, including ours.

You can register with us to ensure your spot in our class here.

Will There Be More Than One Student In The Vehicle During An In-Car Lesson?

No. All of our in-car driving lessons are private so you get the most instruction possible. Speak with your Driving Instructor if you wish to do lessons with another student.

Do I Need Insurance Before I Register For The Course?

No you do not need insurance before registering for your driver training course.
We also carry all insurance needed for you to drive one of our vehicles during training, as well as in the class room. You will require valid insurance to drive your own, or any other vehicle.

What Kind of Vehicles Do You Use For Driver Training?

We have found that compact cars make the best vehicles for driver training.
We select specific vehicles that have good visual lines for the driver.

The smaller vehicles make it a lot easier to park and stay centered in driving lanes.
All of this is important for novice drivers. Many of our students will likely end up owning a compact car as their first vehicle, so this also makes that transition easier as well.

Mike Fisher Driver Training Car – 2014 Hyundai Elantra. This car was chosen for student comfort and ease of handling. Smaller Instruction Vehicles Make Learning To Drive Easy!

Where Do I Get Picked Up From And Dropped Off?

Our Driving School offers convenient pick up and drop off service for all in-car lessons. This may be your home, your school, or even your part time job. We will pick up and drop off within 5KM of the Mike Fisher’s Driving School where the student is registered. Other options may be available if there are extenuating circumstances. Speak with your Driving Instructor.

Is Manual Transmission Instruction Available?

No. At this time, our Driving School only uses automatic transmission cars. If you have a manual transmission in your vehicle, training may be provided in that vehicle. Speak with your Driving Instructor.

Is The Beginner Drivers Education Course MTO-Approved?

Yes, the Beginner Driver Education (BDE) Course offered by our Driving School is MTO-Approved, and exceeds MTO standards. Mike Fisher’s Driving School was approved by the MTO on October 30th, 2014 with zero infractions and deemed in full compliance. A course provider licence has been issued and our school is listed on the official MTO – Approved BDE Course Providers on the website. Click Here to See the “Mike Fisher Mike Fisher’s Driving School” Listing on the MTO Site — Scroll down to “Cobourg”

How Do I Sign Up For A G1 Exit Or G2 Exit Road Test After I Complete My Driving Lessons?

If you have enrolled in the BDE Course Value Package, G1 Road Test Package, G2 Road Test Package or Use Of Car For Road Test and would like to use our vehicle for your road test, please speak you’re your Driving Instructor, or contact us on our website contact form or phone the number at the top of the website.

For details on scheduling a road test, please see Scheduling a Road Test with an Ontario Drive Test Centre. If you do not intend to use a our Driving School vehicle for your road test, you can book your exit G1 exit (road test) or G2 exit (highway test) at the closest Drive Test Centre. To book a road test please visit

How Does Driver Training Affect My Car Insurance?

Completing a recognized certified driver training course will usually give you a reduced level of insurance premiums as compared to what they would have been if you had not taken the course. This reduction varies from company to company and will be different depending on your personal profile. There are other things that you can do to affect the insurance rates that you pay when you first start to drive.

As a new driver, here are a few tips on getting the best rate for yourself:

• Take a driver-training course that is accredited with the MTO, and recognized by your insurance company. This is what we can do for you.
• Consider gaining experience as a named occasional driver under the insurance policy of a parent or guardian, rather than as a principal driver of your own vehicle. Premiums for young, occasional drivers are much lower than premiums for young, principal drivers.
• Ask your insurance company if they offer any student discounts. Some companies give discounts to new drivers with good grades or new drivers who live away from home for part of the year.
• As a new driver, building a good driving record free of at-fault accidents and driving convictions is the best way to ensure low future premiums. So drive safely and don’t speed.

For Lower Insurance Rates You Need The Course Completion (DLH) Form – If you are a former driving school student, and want proof of course completion for possible insurance discounts need to obtain their Driver’s Licence History (DLH). This is only possible after the driving school has updated your on-line records. Former students must request this information in-person at a Driver and Vehicle Issuing Office or Service Ontario.

How Do I Get My Driver’s Licence History (DLH) Form?

Only the driver’s licence holder can request the DLH search, as it contains personal address information. The applicant must sign the application. For more information regarding DLH, you may contact Service Ontario at 1 – 800 – 387 – 3445 or 416 – 235 – 2999.

See The Attached Link for Your Convenience:
(This Is A Record Search Application – Follow The on-line Instructions)
Driver Licence History (DLH) for Proof of Course Completion APPLICATION FORM


Can I Get A Discount On My Insurance?

Mike Fisher’s Driving School-Northumberland Ltd is an MTO-Approved Beginner Driver Education (BDE) course provider. BDE course graduates “with a Drivers Licence History” may be eligible for an automotive insurance discount.

Please call your insurance provider for more information about the driving history time required to qualify for any discounts available. We recommend that you shop around to get the best rate.

In the first year or two, this discount will be enough to more than pay for your MTO approved driver training course.

Here is an example that proves this point: This quote is for a 17 year old male living in the Peterborough / Cobourg / Northumberland Ontario area with a new G2 Licence, driving a Honda Accura Integra automobile, and assuming no accidents for their first three years of driving. Females receive similar percentage discounts, but the absolute dollar values for insurance would be about $200.00 lower in each year.

YearWithout Driver TrainingWith Driver TrainingSavings
This hypothetical quote was provided by: James W. Gordon Insurance Brokers Ltd.

Please Note:
Mature first time drivers over 25 will not see these levels of discounts.

How Do I Get Lower Car Insurance Rates?

If You Are A Driving School Student or Graduate You Can Get Reduced Insurance Rates

Here’s How!

Go to this link, SR-LC-112E, fill out the form online and print the form, (or just print the blank form and fill it out by hand), and take it to a Service Ontario office near you. Alternately, you can just go to the nearest Service Ontario office, ask for the above document, and fill it out there.

This form (SR-LC-112 2012/05), is a request to get your DLH form sent to you.
In Section C, you will check the first box (Driver Licence History Search (Which is the Proof of Beginner Driver Education Course Completion for your Insurance Company)).

The DLH form itself is not available on-line. The driving school does not have a copy of the DLH form. Do not confuse the DLH form with a “Drivers Abstract’, which is entirely different.

The DLH form that Service Ontario creates will cost you about $12.00, and that form is what you take to your insurance company for an insurance rebate.

How Can I Pay For My Driving School Course?

Debit/Credit Card: Mike Fisher’s Driving School-Northumberland Ltd. does not accept credit or debit cards at this time. We are currently setting up this payment option, and it should be available by mid Summer, 2015.

Cheque: We also accept personal or certified cheques. Please call us at at the number at the top of the website to register and bring your cheque to your first in-class lesson. Please make the cheque payable to “Mike Fisher’s Driving School – Northumberland Ltd.”

Cash: Please bring the appropriate amount to your first in-class lesson.
Money Order: Please make the money order payable to “Mike Fisher’s Driving School – Northumberland Ltd.”

Financing: Payment plans may be available in some situations. Call the number at the top of the site if you need some form of payment scheduling.

Why Do You Need My Drivers Licence Information For Registration?

The Driving School collects student’s driver’s licence information because we must submit the information to the MTO (Ministry of Transportation of Ontario) to update the student’s Driver’s Licence History.

Why Are You Collecting Emergency Information For Registration?

In the event of an emergency in-class or in-car, the Driving School needs to be able to contact a student’s parents, family members, and/or guardians. Please notify your Instructor if you have any medical conditions, allergies, or developmental limitations. We are certified to accommodate all students.

Where Is Mike Fisher’s Driving School – Northumberland Ltd. Located?

Mike Fisher’s Driving School – Northumberland LTD.

434 William Street UNIT 406,
Cobourg, Ontario, K9A 4X7,CA
TEL Cobourg:         (289) 252-1506
TEL Peterborough: (705) 874-3701

Cobourg Driver Training Classroom
At the Cobourg Best Western Hotel
930 Burnham Street,
Cobourg,Ontario,K9A 2X9,CA

What Supplies Do I Need For The First Day Of Class?

For in-class driver education course sessions, you are expected to bring basic note-taking supplies (notepad and pencil and/or tablet/laptop/smartphone) – a photocopy of your G1, G2, or G licence (if available) or temporary permit (in lieu of licence). We recommend students bring the Official MTO Driver’s Handbook with them if possible. One can be purchased at any Drive Test Center location LINK and also available at some other MTO locations and through the MTO Website LINK.

You will also be required to submit your sign your registration, in class, and other forms at your first in-class lesson. These forms will be provided on the first day of the in-class driver training.

How Do I Cancel An In-Car Drivers Education Lesson?

Please provide a minimum of 24 hours notice before cancelling an in-car lesson by informing your in-car instructor or calling us at the number posted at the top of the website, or by filling out our website contact form. Otherwise, the Student will be charged a $25 cancellation fee which must be paid before the student’s next scheduled in-car lesson or before receipt of a Certificate of Completion, as applicable. This fee may be waived in extenuating circumstances.

What Is The Mike Fisher’s Driving School Refund Policy?

You can cancel at anytime within 14 days of registering for a driving education course start up date, and you will receive a refund, minus a $50.00 Administration fee.

Are There Other Approved Schools in the Northumberland And Peterborough Areas?

Besides the Northumberland Driving School, there are many Ministry of Transportation approved driving schools in the Province of Ontario, with several operating within Northumberland and surrounding areas. Through our Ministry of Transportation approved curriculum and educational programs, we feel we provide you with the best overall training to ensure that you are a safe and confident driver that will be able to pass your MTO driving test on your first try.

Cobourg Driving Schools

Peterborough Driving Schools

Here is a directory of all Cities in Ontario with MTO approved Driving Schools.

For your convenience, here is the link to the MTO page with all approved schools in Ontario.

Often Asked Questions

These are a lot more questions that people have asked us about our driving school:

Q:  What Is Defensive Driving?
Simply stated, defensive driving is the practice of driving so as to avoid getting into accidents.

Defensive Driving is generally accomplished in a few key ways:

  1. Leaving more distance between your vehicle and others than the minimum recommended.
  2. Pace yourself with traffic. Going faster, or slower than the pace of traffic around you makes you much more vulnerable to getting into an accident.
  3. Positioning your vehicle optimally in all common driving situations.
  4. Being courteous to other drivers so as to minimize road rage incidents.
  5. Driving in the correct lane, rather than being a center lane or left lane hog.
  6. Anticipating what common mistakes other drivers around you are most likely to make, try to position your vehicle to reduce its vulnerability, and having a plan in your mind as to what you will do if they do indeed make that mistake.
Q: How Long Does It Take to Get a Class G Licence?

The minimum time is 18 months from the time that you first get your beginners permit until the time you get a full unrestricted class G licence. This minimum time-frame can only be achieved if you take a driving course at a Ministry Approved Driving school like ours. Tags: Graduated Licence Time, Minimum Time to Get a Licence, Fastest Time To Get a Licence

Q: How is this driver education course different from other courses offered by the competition?

At its core, our training course has to be the same as other schools because all schools must pass the MTO minimum curriculum standards. Our course is different from other schools because we teach you about how your car works, simple maintenance, and a more comprehensive focus on safety. We also have several techniques that we use to make it easier for students to learn to drive. This is the reason why our students have a first time attempt pass rate of over 96% where our competition varies between 60% and 80%.

Q: Does your driver education system conform to MTO standards?

Yes. Our driver education training course has been fully approved by the MTO. In fact, we exceed their standards in several ways.

Q: What do you teach in your driver license class?

We cover the rules of the road. We give you instruction on how to do simple maintenance on your car. We teach you how to keep your car safe and how to drive safely. We teach your how to position yourself correctly in all traffic situations to lessen the chance of you getting into an accident. We teach you all the little things, like simple ways to parallel park, the best way to set up your mirrors, handling 4 way stops, etc. Most importantly, we teach you everything that you need to pass your driving test which is administered by the MTO.

Q: Does the driver licensing training provided by your school let me drive a school bus or transport?

No. To drive a school bus or transport truck you need a different level of drivers licence. We currently only train for class G licenses. Please refer to the MTO site for more info.

Q: If I take your driver training course, will it reduce the time it takes to get my full class G drivers licence?

Yes. Taking an MTO approved driver training course will reduce the minimum time to get your full class G licence by 4 months.

Q: What makes your driver’s course different from any other driving school course?

Our success rate for one! Our students enjoy the highest average pass rate for their driving tests of any school. That means that our program is more effective than those offered by other schools. It is the synergistic combination of the classroom training plus the simple driving techniques enforced via the in-car driver training that makes our system both unique and successful.

Q: Where can I get the drivers ed book so I can learn to drive?

This book is available at most MTO testing centers. Here are the closest centers.
Ontario DriveTest Centre (Serco) – Belleville
345 College St. East, Unit 12 Belleville ON, K8N 4Z6 ***This centre is located in the College Centre plaza, next to the KGH Belleville Dialysis Clinic.
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Ontario DriveTest Centre (Serco) – Peterborough
749 Erskine Ave. Peterborough ON, K9J 7Y6 ***This centre is located in the same plaza as Microage and Fastenal.
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Q: My dad can teach me what I need to know to get a drivers licence, so why should I go to you?
  1. Your dad is unlikely to touch on all the points that we discuss as part of a structured training program, either in technique or in safety.
  2. Your dad training you will mean that you must take at least 4 months longer to get your full licence.
  3. Your dad training you will not get you any discounts in your automobile insurance.

Many people will say how they just got their dad/brother/sister/mother/friend/etc. to teach them to drive so that they did not have to pay anything. And that is much cheaper than paying for a course isn’t it?

Actually, for most new drivers, that is Totally Wrong!

When you look at the total cost of your first few years of driving, it actually costs a young driver more to have someone teach them to drive for free rather than to take a recognized and paid for driving training course from an MTO certified driving school.

How can that be?

In a nutshell, it is all about the insurance that you will pay. You see, almost all insurance companies in Ontario give a substantial discount for drivers trained at MTO certified driving schools like ours.

In our example, the driver taking a certified course will save $2,100.00 in insurance over the first three years of driving. If you pay the full price of our course of $965.00 it is like someone just giving you over $1,100.00 for learning how to drive.

But the best news is that we will usually offer “Seasonal Discounts” for our driving courses. So you will save even more. So check out our driving training courses and schedule page to see when we offer courses, and/or contact us to find out what the next classes pricing is. You will be almost guaranteed to save more than $1,100.00.

So the next time someone says that they saved money by getting a friend to teach them to drive, just enjoy a good laugh at their expense!

Q: When do you have drivers training classes?

All of our classes are on the weekend. We have found that this is the best time for the majority of people who want to take driver training. Evening courses have tired students and their performance suffers. To find our next courses please visit this link.

Q: When I get my g1 driver license, what am I allowed to do on my own?

Nothing! You must have a qualified driver in the front seat of your car at all times. You can, of course, study material in your books, and watch other drivers on the road to see if you can pick out any mistakes that they make.

Q: School driver courses are offered by many different companies. Why should I select you?

Quite frankly it is because you have a greater chance of being successful with us than with other companies. Having a friend or relative train you often results in a failure the first time you do your road test.

Q:  What can I do as a student driver to practice more?

The more driving you do, the better.
If you can get a qualified driver to help you practice then do so.

Just remember, if the qualified driver tells you to do something differently than the instructor, the instructor is always right. Although the person with you may not necessarily be wrong, the instructor will teach you techniques that are safest. They also train you in a way that makes sure you will be able to pass a road test the first time.

Q: Is your school oriented solely to teen drivers or do you train older drivers as well?

We teach drivers of all ages.

Occasionally Asked Questions

Q: Is your driver training organized as a beginner driver education course?

Yes. It assumes that you know nothing about cars and driving. This makes sure that all of our students get all the information that they require to be good drivers.

Q: What is a class G1 driver and what does that mean?

A class G1 driver is sometimes referred to as a student driver. The class G1 permit used to be called the beginners permit before graduated licensing was introduced. It does not allow you to operate a vehicle alone. You must be accompanied by a full class G driver with at least 4 years of driving experience at all times. You cannot drive on any road with a posted speed limit in excess of 90 kilometers per hour. (note that there are other restrictions including a zero level of alcohol – see here)

Q: What is a class G drivers license and what kinds of vehicles does it allow me to drive.

A class G drivers licence is designed for personal use and some light commercial use. The following vehicles can be operated with a class G license: Any car, van or small truck or combination of vehicle and towed vehicle up to 11,000 kg provided the towed vehicle is not over 4,600 kg, but not, a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle; a bus carrying passengers; or an ambulance in the course of providing ambulance service as defined in the Ambulance Act. Exception: A Recreational Vehicle towed by a pick up truck may exceed 4,600 kg. See the MTO site for full details.

Q: What driver instructor qualifications do you have?

The founder of Mike Fisher’s Driving School, Mike Fisher, took his Certified Driving Instructor Training at Humber College in Toronto. He passed with a grade in the high 90’s. He also has many years of experience teaching people how to drive. Any instructor who works for us has similar accreditation and experience.

Q: I want a driver licence, what do I need to do?

To get a driver licence, you need to:

  • Get a drivers handbook from an MTO bureau office and study it.
  • Schedule and write the G1 written test.
  • Learn to Drive with a fully licensed class G driver with you at all times.
  • After several months, schedule and take your class G1 exit test to get your G2 licence.
  • Drive for at least one year as a G2 Driver
  • Schedule and take your G2 Exit test to become a full class G driver
  • You must have a full class G permit for at least 4 years before instructing a student driver.

Note: Taking an approved driver training course such as that offered by Mike Fisher’s Driving School will shorten the minimum period required to get your full class G licence by up to 4 months. It will also give you insurance discounts at most insurance companies, the savings from which will more than cover the cost of the course.

Q: Where is your driver training conducted?

All of our classroom training takes place at the Cobourg Best Western Hotel at 930 Burnham Street in Cobourg Ontario. For your convenience it is centrally located and on a major bus route.

Q: If I take your driver training course will it affect my insurance?

Yes. Most insurance companies offer substantial discounts to drivers who have passed an MTO approved driver education program like ours.

Q: Do your former students give you good driver training reviews?

Yes, you can see student reviews on our site on lots of our site pages. See our Student Testimonials here.

Q: What do you do in your driver’s education course to make it fun?

There is always room to make classroom-training fun. The small games we use to help students remember new material is an example. On top of this, we will often engage in getting students and the instructor to relate amusing anecdotes about driving. These are often used as a springboard to teach a segment of the material.

Q: Once I get a new drivers license, are there any restrictions on my driving?

For your G1 permit, you need to have a qualified driver in your car at all times. For your G2 permit, you can drive on most roads by yourself but there are some restrictions. For your full Class G, there are not many restrictions, but you must drive for at least 4 years before you can qualify to be with a G1 driver. See more here about driving restrictions for new drivers here.

Q: Why We Do Driving Road Test Simulations so Frequently?

We undertake simulated driving road tests on a regular basis. We find this helps the student drivers in two main ways:

  • It makes the concept of driver testing less of a fear factor because it is done regularly which helps reduce stress.
  • At the same time, it provides continuous feedback to the student as to how well they are doing with their driving.

That way the both the student and the instructor can focus in on what the student does not know, rather than waste time practicing skills that have already been mastered. This is all just a part of why our driving school training program is so effective.

Rarely Asked Questions

Q: What is “Mike Fisher’s Driving School-Northumberland Ltd.”?

Mike Fisher’s Driving School – Northumberland Ltd. is an incorporated company that is licensed to train LBE level drivers. It also owns and operates the the website.

Q: Is your driver’s school located in any other cities?

No. Not at this time. We are currently located just in Cobourg Ontario. But we service the cities of Port Hope, Colbourne, Brighton, Peterborough, Bowmanville, and other communities in the area. Most of our classes have had students from several different communities in the area. They will often come because we have and exceptional reputation for student satisfaction and high pass rates.

Q: Does your school support beginner driver education?

Yes. Mike Fisher’s Driving School is solely focused on class G driver education from the beginner level right up to a full class G permit.

Q: What drivers training course material do you hand out in class?

On day one, there are a series of forms that you have to sign. These are for us as well as for the MTO, and are required. We will have material available as part of your training that will have diagrams and pictures of typical driving scenarios and what to do.

Q: What is the best driver education program available to me?

We like to think that the program that we offer is the very best. The program that Mike Fisher’s Driving School offers is based on the MTO recommended curriculum. The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario has approved the course content. We have developed a way of presenting this information in class to make it more interactive so as to help students retain the knowledge more readily. That contributes to our 96% first try pass rate for the MTO road test.

Q: Are you associated with any drivers ed (driversed) programs?

We will be bidding on being the default driver training school with the board of education this year.

Q: What is a class G2 driver licence and what can I do with it?

A class G2 driver licence allows you to operate a vehicle on your own, on any road, but there are still restrictions as to alcohol and number of passengers. If you are under 19 there are some other restrictions.

Q: What kind of driver ed programs do you offer?

We offer all encompassing driver training courses focused on obtaining a Class G permit. We also offer additional one-on-one training on a per diem basis to any student who would like extra tutelage. (this is usually done by students who would like refresher training prior to taking their G2 exit road test). We also train people who need to be re-certified, such as older drivers, foreign trained drivers, or drivers who have lost their licenses for one reason or another.

Q:  How do you approach driver education and training?

Our format is the same for every course: 20 hours of classroom time, split into 4 classes. Saturday and Sunday on one weekend and Saturday and Sunday on the following weekend. During summer months and on school breaks we will often offer the course over four consecutive days. The classroom training uses a combination of lecture, overhead projection, videos, class exercises and simple games. 10 hours of student homework activity 10 hours of one-on-one in car training.

Q: What driver instructor training did your instructors take?

Our owner took his driver training from Humber College in Toronto. He is certified both as a classroom instructor and as a driving instructor. Each driving instructor has MTO certified Driving Instructor Training.

Q: How do I get a driver licence?

To get a driver licence, you need to:

  1. Get a drivers handbook from an MTO bureau office and study it.
  2. Schedule and write the G1 written test.
  3. Learn to Drive with a fully licensed class G driver with you at all times.
  4. After several months, schedule and take your class G1 exit test to get your G2 licence.
  5. Drive for at least one year as a G2 Driver
  6. Schedule and take your G2 Exit test to become a full class G driver
Q: What is a driver licence G1?

Often referred to as a beginners permit, this allows you to operate a class G motor vehicle as long as you have a fully qualified driver in the front seat of the car with you at all times. G1, G2 and G are designations for the Ontario graduated licensing program. See the MTO Site for other Restrictions.

Q: Are you affiliated with any other driver school?

No. Mike Fisher’s Driving School is a locally owned, owner-operated business.

Q: Is your school backed by drivers ed programs at local schools?

Besides our former student referrals, we get many references from high schools in the area and will be actively bidding on being the default driver training school this fiscal year.

Q: Where are your drivers ed courses taught?

All of our classroom instruction is taught at the Best Western Hotel at 930 Burnham Street in Cobourg. It is centrally located for the convenience of most students. It is also on a major bus route

Q: Part of the problem with most driver’s education classes are that they are too lecture oriented. How is yours different?

We do some lecturing with our classroom training, but we also use visuals as well. In conjunction with this, we will involve the class in interactive game style training. When learning new material, the more parts of a body that you involve in the learning process, the better the knowledge sinks in. We believe in that concept and have structured our driver training program accordingly. Do not expect to come to class and be bored to death, that will not happen.

Q: Why should I pay you a lot of money to get my drivers licence?

There are two reasons:

  1. You are much more likely to become a better driver by taking our program than by trying to get others to show you the ropes.
  2. Although there is a significant up-front cost to the training, the fact that you passed the course will allow you to save money on your car insurance. If you shop around you may find that you save enough money in two or three years to pay for the course. Savings in subsequent years will actually mean that taking the course made you money.
Q: What am I allowed to do with my driver’s license g1?

Your G1 license is essentially a beginner’s permit. To that end, you must have a qualified driver in the front seat of the car with you at all times, you must have a zero blood alcohol level, you cannot drive between midnight and 5 AM, there are limits on passengers, and you cannot drive on roads where the posted speed limit is more than 80 KPH.

Q: How do I get my drivers permit?

Pick up a copy of the drivers handbook from an MTO car-testing center. Study the book. Go to an MTO car testing center with proof of age, take the eye exam, and write the written test.